Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 07/09/06

fresh: This is one of those movies that I would be curious to see twice, because as a rule I hate sequels but I loved this one so darn much. Therefore I must have missed what I usually hate and only a second viewing would bring about my much brewed ire for this film. 
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that only a really good sequel could overcome my natural bias against sequels. This is a really good film. The best sequel since "The Empire Strikes Back."
A great part of why this film is great is because everyone came back. This seems more like a labor of love than a enterprise for more money. Here we have both producers from the first one: Walt Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer, the same Director: Gore Verbinski, the same screenwriters, the same main cast from Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightley, to much of the supporting cast: each one with a place and purpose in the story. The screenwriters must have gone through hell to make this story work as a parody of a theme park ride, a action adventure with great spectacles, a witty farce in the moments where there couldn't be huge effects, a sequel as good as the first but leads charismatically into the third, lots of fun, and a great ensemble effort where each character pulls their weight, noone grandstands, and not one part of the ensemble, filled with great new charachters, does one want to quickly get off the stage. It's a great accomplishment how everything fits. I wish I knew their names. I'd mention them with great praise.
Also to mention is the way they do not fail where so many other special effect extravaganzas do. They know how to use the visuals not rely on them, and it is clear that the makers had an effective story even if there weren't any. A great moment arrives when two supporting stooges pontificate on the correct pronounciation of the word Kraken. (rack or rake) A Kraken is a large sea monster that we periodically witness killing everybody in a ship. Here we have two characters arguing on the correct grammer of the word. It reminded me of that classic moment in Ghostbusters where the characters discussed the Giant Stay Puff marshmallow man who was terrorizing the city. Future directors should pay attention. That's how to handle huge special effects. With a smile and a friendly wink. A little bit of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Just one more note: This movie has quite alot of death and destruction. Since it's a pirate movie, that's understandable. The problem is I know many parents will bring their kids (I saw quite a few in the movie theatre) and I think the creators should of had that in mind when they started slitting throats, making ravens peck out eyes, and killing people quite constantly. I myself have no problem with that, but I bet a ten year old would have nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment