Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Superman Returns 07/03/07

rotten: It's funny the things I was thinking of when I wasn't paying attention to the screen. First, I had a recurring fantasy about those two muppet hecklers, y'know those old guys in the box seats. I yearned to be like them. This isn't one of those movies you should watch in a theatre. This is one of those that are best watched at home with all your friends adding a group commentary track. There should be a disclaimer at the beginning: Please talk through this movie it will only make it better. Feel free to loudly comment on how trite the experience is, give cat-calls to Lois Lane, root when Superman inevitably wins, mock the bald Lex Luther, and call out the bowtied Jimmy on his homosexuality. It'll make the movie experience much more thrilling. 
The second fantasy that recurred was a better idea for a Superman movie. It'll have to change sixty years of storyline but here goes: Superman gets a high on the yellow sun which gives him superman strength etc. His only weakness: He's mentally retarded. Think of the possibilities. Here you have a genius like Lex Luther who has brilliant plans of world domination but somehow this mentally deficient Superman ass-clowns his way into foiling his evil plans every episode, usually by mere accident. That way there would be some suspense on whether Superman would succeed and we wouldn't have to use kryptonite every single frickin' time.
um...I should review the movie a little huh. 3 quarters of it don't really work. It gets better at the end but then it reverts back into those melodramtic scenes where one charachter says something like "I knew you'd say that." There's a huge dramatic pause with single tears running down cheeks then the other charachter whispers "I know." oh such dialogue! I haven't slightest idea why Lois Lane is in love with either Clark Kent or Superman. Neither said anything interesting or funny the entire movie. Of course Superman is a great hunk-of-man but that doesn't really do anything for me. 
I don't know, I haven't the slightest idea of how this movie could have been better. I was too busy thinking of other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment